Wednesday 12 November 2014

10 things I wish I had known

Was just reading a random article on Huffpost Women, on the 10 things I wish I had known when I was 21.

1. Don't compare yourself to others. Really? I thrive (and break down) on comparing myself to others. All that rubbish on "don't measure yourself on other people's success" don't sit well with me. If she's (and I'm still talking about my woman crush here) got an MBA, I'm gonna make damn sure I get me a PhD. One of those ones you buy online. If she has model children with perfect teeth and smooth white skin, well I'm gonna find me a donor who can give me Aryan looking malnourished kids. Hey, I know someone who actually did that. Ok sidetracked. I can't help but compare myself to others. It's the driving force in my life. Bleh.

2. Don't feel like you have to have it all figured out. I never had this problem. I never figured out anything, and still haven't. And that is why I still live with my parents and wait for mum to cook me dinner. And pay the bills. And feed my kids.

3. Listen to your mom when she tells you that having more than five drinks a night is not healthy or normal. OMG she NEVER told me that! That makes me a little angry. I could have stopped the shameful nights of dancing on the table and sleeping with random men a long time ago if mum had told me. Not.

4. You can relax a little; you don't need to do it all. The thing is, I do need to do it all. Cos if I don't, who will? The never-ending saga of a single mom.

5. You're smart. Yes I is.

6. Don't straighten your hair or wear fake tanner every day. Not applicable to me. Obviously. Fai aku le meauli ae.

7. Enjoy young love because it's so sweet. But don't put everything on that relationship. Too late. I did. And see where that ended up. And then did it again. And same thing. I think I wanna be a lesbian.

8. Practice saying no. No. There, enough practice. If I had said no from the time I was 21 to now at 26, I would probably not had 2 of my 3 children, still working at BAT, and still a size 2. Aue'e.

9. Don't take your parents and family issues onto yourself. Tell that to a Samoan and good luck. Parents and family issues go hand in hand with breathing. You could try to separate them, but be sure you have a one way ticket somewhere faaaar.

10. Stop obsessing over guys. Claim your own self worth. I never obsessed over guys. They obsess over me. Uh huh. Pugi.

No comments: